When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How Will You Make an Impact?
The Manager Chemical Process Engineering is responsible for the overall operation and performance of the Process Engineering Department in an ISO 9001 manufacturing environment for chemistry consumables. Will direct and coordinate activities of the engineering department in support of consumable manufacturing operations, new product introductions, and achieving long term corporate goals. Require extensive interaction with multi-departmental teams.
What will you do?
- Plan and monitor department budgets on an annual and quarterly basis. The budget include personnel planning, departmental operating expenses, capital expenditures, and fixturing for new and existing products.
- Determine and assign optimal projects to departmental members, including chemical process engineers and manufacturing engineers, to meet corporate and departmental goals. Monitor the schedule and quality of these projects to assure they are completed satisfactorily and on time. Analyzes technology trends, human resource needs, and market demand to plan projects.
- Act as a point of contact for the Engineering Change Process. Review all ECR’s and resolve associated problems. Work with the Planning Department on Implementation of these changes.
- Manage the MRB (Material Review Board) to assure the non-conforming material is correctly dispositioned and corrective action is performed on design and engineering related problems.
- Oversee the transferring of new products into production. This includes making sure the designs are manufacturable and have acceptable production yields. Work with Engineering to specify and procure necessary capital equipment and fixturing.
- Train production personnel on new products and procedures.
- Oversee the development on manufacturing and test procedures.
- Work with the Manufacturing Sciences Manager and other production personnel to develop improved processes and tooling to reduce labor time and costs. This includes managing automation projects involving hardware and software.
- Make engineering and procedural changes to improve production yields and reduce quality problems.
- Work with the Supply Chain Department to find additional sources for difficult or obsolete materials, resolve problems with vendors, and solve quality problems. Work with Procurement to reduce material costs; assess and qualify vendors.
- Work with other departments to help reduce inventory levels and to help plan the obsolescence of old products. Advises management of new developments, which may affect profit, schedule, costs, customer relations, and/or inter-departmental relations.
- Oversee the calibration of all production equipment. Resolves problems using solutions that involve new techniques, technologies, or concepts.
- Deliver performance reviews for Engineers and provide coaching to improve performance. Provides direction and example for interpretation and application of company policies and procedures to the engineering activities.
- Work with Product Management to make product improvements for increased efficiency and customer satisfaction. Confers with management, production, and marketing staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, and customer demand for new and existing products.
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technologies, which may improve operations, and develops recommendations accordingly.
How will you get there?
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering or related field
- Four to ten years related experience and/or training in a chemical manufacturing environment
- 5+ years directly supervising teams and managing employee performance
- Experience with Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, or other related process improvement tools
- Experience within a regulated environment is preferred – pharm/bio-pharma related.
- Experience with business transformation and change management related to automation, strongly preferred
- Highly analytical with strong problem solving skills.
This his position has not been approved for relocation assistance.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.