Job Title: EHS Specialist
Requisition ID: 58015BR
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
This position is primarily responsible for administering the company’s Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Programs. This position is responsible for establishing and overseeing health and safety standards.
- Develops, maintains, and enforces safety policies and procedures in accordance with all local, state, federal regulations and company EHS program requirements
- Ensures compliance with EHS regulations and codes and acts as liaison to regulatory agency personnel
- Manages the employee safety training program, including developing and delivering training curricula and driving/tracking employee participation
- Specifies the procurement and maintenance of safety equipment inventory to ensure that onsite personnel have adequate protection from workplace hazards.
- Reviews the procurement of chemicals and materials purchased for production, engineering, and R&D, including the maintenance of the library of Safety Data Sheets- SDS’s
- Oversees emergency response activities
- Laser safety officer
- Manages the accumulation, collection, storage, and disposal of hazardous wastes
- Manages landfill diversion sustainability program
- Responsible for promoting a strong safety culture at a Cal-OSHA VPP Star site through outreach initiatives as well as employee and management engagement
- Manages contractor safety program
- Manages site workers compensation program, incident investigation program, and oversees the EHS database implementation for the site
- Manages the site’s ergonomics and biosafety programs
- Conducts site audits for compliance with company global standards
- Manages and maintains day-to-day EHS programs at the site, including new employee orientation, EHS management systems, and regulatory record keeping and reporting
- Administers company compliance with regulatory permits. Prepares applications, interpreted regulations and maintains written EHS programs as necessary.
- Collects safety metrics and conducts trend analysis
- Provides oversight to safety committee.
- Position requires a bachelor’s degree in safety engineering, environmental studies, industrial hygiene, or comparable field and 5 years of relevant experience, or a master’s degree in safety engineering, environmental studies, industrial hygiene, or comparable field and 3 years of relevant experience.
- Position requires experience in the organization/implementation of facility-wide EHS programs or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, evaluate, and recommend controls for workplace hazards. Demonstrated ability to determine training needs, organize and conduct training. Strong interpersonal and communication skills required, including the ability to interact with senior management and large employee groups.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer applications, including word processing, spreadsheet, and slide presentations required. Excellent communication skills in a variety of medium (PowerPoint charts, written reports & memoranda, and verbal).
This position does not have relocation assistance
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join