Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Job Title: Production Technician - Media & Bonded Production
Reports To: Production Team Leader
Division: AIG/Chromatography & Mass Spec Division
Career Band: 2
Job Track: Associate
Position Location: Runcorn, UK
To manufacture and quality assure specific chromatography products to meet the required output/throughput and quality levels. To carry out in-process development as required to improve production processes and increase efficiency. To liaise with the Team Leader in order to plan the day to day operations of a production team in order to ensure that production levels of the correct quantity, quality and cost are achieved.
The business unit manufactures Hypersil silicas and Hypercarb (porous graphitic carbon) as well as various HPLC, GC, GCMS and SPE packing materials. These products are sold to a worldwide market made up predominantly of pharmaceutical companies, universities, hospitals, government institutions and a wide range of industrial companies in varying fields of activities.
Production and Testing
- To ensure that production processes are carried out in strict accordance with prescribed manufacturing procedures and practices.
- To implement test procedures as required, in order that quality standards and CFPY targets are achieved.
- To consistently uphold the 4I values and be a role model for Thermo Fisher principles.
- Use the PMIF system to record batch non-conformance.
- Ensure that records are accurately kept for each stage of the process and understand why these records are kept and the implications of any inaccuracies or omissions.
- Enter data associated with quality databases and ensure all information is accurate.
- Be able to use and troubleshoot the laboratory equipment.
- Ensure all equipment is repaired in a timely way so as to minimise disruption caused by equipment failure.
- Ensure laboratory cleanliness is maintained at all times to minimise the risk to health and contamination to production processes.
Stock Control & Waste Management
- To ensure correct storage and disposal of solvent and hazardous waste in accordance with COSHH requirements.
- Liaise with the Team Leader and the rest of your team members.
- Encourage mutual respect and co-operation within your team and with other teams.
- Recognise the responsibility to share knowledge and information by listening actively and communicating completely.
Problem Solving and Innovation
- Along with your Team Leader carry out process trouble shooting, to identify and solve process issues.
- Take part in production projects and quality tests.
- Approach new ideas with enthusiasm.
- Use production improvement tools PPI, VSM, 5 Whys, Lean and 5S principles, in the strive for excellence.
Skills and Knowledge
- Continue to acquire and develop the necessary skills and knowledge, to ensure continuing personal growth in the requirements of the job.
Procedures and Regulations
- Know the purpose of health & safety regulations, COSHH requirements and ISO9001 quality procedures. Ensure that health and safety procedures are adhered to and use the SOOS system to improve working practices and conditions. Know the purpose of Risk Assessments and ensure they are adhered to at all times.
- Be a respected team member with the skills and knowledge to enable your colleagues to perform to the best of their ability.
- Take responsibility for developing and extending your own skills and knowledge of media and bonded production.
- Contribute to improvement projects designed to improve testing, production processes and products, or to introduce new products.
- Contact with Team Leader and Production Manager for setting of targets.
- Contact with other team members within the framework of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Contact with Team Leader and Production Manager for discussion of projects/improvements.
- GCSE or equivalent (grade C or above) in Maths, English & Science.
- Proven industrial or laboratory experience.
- Awareness of Health & Safety regulations, COSHH requirements, ISO9001 quality procedures, operational practices and relevant chemistry.
- PC skills, in particular Excel.
- Ability and willingness to acquire new knowledge and skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to take responsibility, work on own initiative and meet deadlines.
- Communication and interpersonal skills.
Decision Making Authority
- Recommendations for improvements to working practices associated with accountabilities should be communicated to the Team Leader.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join