How you will make an impact
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, and you’ll be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you’ll find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
What you’ll do
As the Director and Employment Counsel, you will serve as the lead employment law counsel for several global business groups and will primarily support employees in the U.S. and Canada. You’ll report directly to the Senior Director, Employment Counsel, Americas (who reports to the Vice President, Culture and Counsel) and work with members of the legal division, human resources, and the business functions to proactively manage and mitigate employment law risks. You’ll partner with other members of the employment law team on key projects that advance the mission of the employment law team and the legal division. You’ll bring a global mindset to provide employment law advice and counsel to the company’s operation outside of the US.
- Provide day-to-day employment law advice and counsel to HR and management on a variety of subjects including employee terminations, FMLA and other protected leaves, ADA reasonable accommodations, employee relations including discipline, wage and hour issues, separation agreements, workplace violence, and data privacy.
- Serve as a key member of the employment law team and will help drive projects to identify and proactively manage legal risks
- Manage US employment litigation working with outside counsel
- Support internal investigations working with Global Director of Employee Relations
- Provide labor law support as needed.
How you’ll get here
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state, preferably MA or CA.
- 10 years of employment law experience including providing advice and counsel and managing employment litigation
- Law firm experience handling employment litigation from investigating and responding to administrative charges, responding to complaint, conducting discovery, taking deposition, drafting motions for summary judgment and preparing for trial. Trial experience is preferred but not required.
- Proficient in providing advice and counsel in the following areas: ADA reasonable accommodations, FMLA and other types of leaves, employee terminations, reductions in force, wage and hour, performance management, data privacy, workplace investigations, and employee relations issues.
- Strong influencing and collaborating skills. Able to identify and manage legal and other types of risks, and have good judgment. Able to analyze complex situations and develop simple, concise, and effective legal solutions.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to manage workload with little oversight or direction.
- Adaptable to change and good at improving processes and systems. Strong project management skill is a plus.
- Familiarity with Canadian employment laws is preferred
- Immigration and labor law experience is preferred.
- In-house employment counsel experience is preferred
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Preferred location for this role is Waltham, MA
Applicants nationwide will be considered
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join