Job Title: EH&S Director, Microbiology Division (MBD)
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Reports To: Vice President, Manufacturing Operations
Group/Division: Specialty Diagnostics Group/Microbiology Division
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
As a member of the Microbiology Division (MBD) Operations leadership team, this position will provide strategic EHS oversight and guidance to all the operating businesses and functions within MBD. The MBD Director of EHS will work closely with other divisional leaders, site, business and EHS leaders and Corporate EHS to effectively manage and continuously improve EHS performance within the division. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Manufacturing Operations with a dotted line reporting relationship to Corporate EHS.
- Establishes EHS strategies and goals necessary to achieve excellence in EHS performance across all divisional locations and communicates these widely, ensure engagement across the organization.
- Develop and implement EHS policies, standards, guidelines and programs, as appropriate, to meet the overall divisional strategy and to control EHS risks throughout the business.
- Assures compliance of divisional operations to all applicable laws, regulations and standards. This includes local legislation as well as Thermo Fisher Scientific Corporate EHS polices and standards.
- Establishes and monitors key performance metrics to measure progress against goals and to evaluate EHS program effectiveness. Advises organizational leaders on performance improvements and leads improvement initiatives. Uses the data to drive improvement plans and track progress against the strategy/goals
- Develop appropriate training and awareness programs and ensure their successful delivery across the Division in support of compliance and safety goals.
- Develops and analyses safety information reporting. Consolidates and reports key EHS metrics monthly, quarterly and annually as required.
- Works with individual locations to ensure appropriate level of EHS resources are maintained. Provide oversite and guidance to site EHS leaders to ensure their continued development and success.
- Facilitate the Global MBD EHS council in order to establish a network of EHS professionals, enable the sharing of best practices, drive continuing education, and rollout divisional programs and other safety initiatives.
- Establish and implement a divisional EHS escalation process for critical injuries, incidents or business losses. Ensure appropriate level of response and countermeasures are applied.
- Participate on the Corporate EHS Council as the MBD representative. Report on the status of EHS initiatives, ongoing performance and change within the division. Provide input into the ongoing development of the Corporate EHS program.
- Bachelor’s degree in Health and Safety or Environmental or related technical discipline required.
- Eight to ten years progressive experience leading EHS in a multi-site and international manufacturing organization with a proven record of establishing effective programs and delivering continuous performance improvements.
- Must have a working understanding of environmental, health and safety regulations with extensive experience in the development, maintenance and implementation of EHS management systems.
- Knowledge in the technical fundamentals of safety management and risk assessments and reduction, including machinery and biological safety, chemical safety, loss prevention, and ergonomics.
- Must have strong leadership and influencing skills, with the ability to be consistently persuasive and credible across multiple hierarchical levels and cultures resulting in improved EHS performance.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to think strategically and translate to a tactical level.
- Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of variables while meeting quality, timeliness, and cost requirements.
- Ability to exercise judgement as to the levels of involvement and intervention appropriate in order to meet responsibilities and objectives.
- Ability to work within the United Kingdom and abroad.
- Ability to travel up to 30-50% of the time.
- Master’s degree (in business or related technical field) or professional certification a plus.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing/continuous improvement principles.
if you are interested please forward your CV to email@example.com
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join