Manager R&D, Material Characterization (m/f)
JOB ID: 59227BR
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $20 billion and over 65,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands – Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
The R&D Manager is responsible for leading a cross-functional R&D team in the pursuit of delivering robust, industry leading new products and customized projects on time and within budget. The main focus is on developing twin-screw Extruders and Rheometers for Material Science Research and applied markets and extrusion based systems for Pharmaceutical scale-up and manufacturing. This person focuses on improving processes and developing a strong team. In addition, the R&D Manager provides regular communications with project stakeholders and oversees project management, product design, construction, regulatory and documentation in order to ensure completion of projects as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads a cross-functional R&D team in customized projects and sustaining projects - on time and within budget
- Manages the prioritization, resource allocation and technical execution of projects in the product roadmaps in close collaboration with stakeholders from product management, applications, quality and commercial
- Identifies and manages external partners for successful outsourcing of certain tasks and projects; monitors progress and ensures a high quality outcome of outsourced projects
- Drives continuous improvement by focusing on process development, tools and metrics, effectively utilizing benchmarking and collaboration across the organization
- Builds a culture of innovation and customer focus where R&D acts as a close collaboration partner to product management, offering and negotiating solutions to customer requirements
- Owns and manages the R&D budget
- Focuses on building long-term platforms and solutions and minimizing the "Cost of Goods Sold" while maintaining a competitive product portfolio
- Is an integral member of the management team and offers required R&D input for business reviews and other required processes
- Develop a succession plan and ensure proper staffing for the R&D team
- A minimum of a M.Sc. degree in a technical field (engineering, process technology, physics or equivalent)
- At least 5-10 years of experience in the development of integrated systems consisting of hardware, firmware and software as well as sufficient experience in project management
- At least 5 years’ experience in a comparable leadership position
- Experience in identifying and managing external development partners and in working in an international environment
- Proven experience in leading, developing and managing strong and high performing teams
- Analytical and process driven with a high degree of familiarity with current R&D tools and metrics
- Team player with strong communication and negotiation skills and proven ability to build consensus among cross-functional stakeholders
- Very good verbal and written communication skills in English and German are essential
We are looking forward to receive your application. Please refer to the above Job ID and include your salary expectations as well as your period of notice.