Job Title: Scientist III
Requisition ID: 44644BR
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals
Perform organic chemistry syntheses in a manufacturing environment. Understand the written production documents and be technically capable of performing processes and procedures to maintain inventory of those products. Possess scientific understanding of team products and their applications, sufficient to complete the work, and suggest potential improvements to manufacturing processes.
- Produce and conduct analysis of reagents, components, and finished products in accordance with the manufacturing plan.
- Produce and conduct quality analysis of and improve reagents, components, and finished products in accordance with the manufacturing plan.
- Maintain accurate inventory of raw materials, WIP and finished product. Capable of using advanced ERP functions.
- Analyze and interpret scientific data. Utilize specialized technical knowledge or skills necessary.
- Maintain communication with representatives from other departments and teams as required, including coordinating with other teams internal and external to operations to share resources; work across various functions as required.
- Actively participate in Team activities (conflict resolution, team building, scheduling).
- Recognize manufacturing problems, identify variables, perform appropriate experiments, and make necessary corrections to manufacturing processes.
- Critically evaluate, revise, or create process documents; ensure that efficient, reproducible, quality manufacturing processes and documents are developed for new and existing products.
- Keep a clear, complete and accurate account of all manufacturing and product development work through the appropriate use of Batch Data Records, notebooks, customer reports, work order documents, and other appropriate documentation.
- Train and coach team members in more advanced technical manufacturing skills, trouble-shooting, process Improvements and understanding, safe laboratory practices and hazardous materials handling and disposal. Offer technical guidance and direction to team members.
- Provide technical product support and accurate product availability information in a timely manner.
- Ensure adherence to quality standards established in process documents. Continually strive to improve product quality through establishment of more effective or efficient manufacturing processes and quality testing. Effectively communicate the importance of total quality to the members of the team.
- Work to achieve department goals and business objectives with respect to quality, on-time completion of work, and safety.
- As part of an investigative team, initiate and implement appropriate experiments to address failure of product or processes to yield expected results.
- Work with team members and planning/purchasing teams to develop and execute a manufacturing schedule consistent with master schedule requirements for team products; coordinate team resources to ensure the most efficient use of time and materials.
- Identify and interpret the scientific basis of each manufacturing process in use by the team.
- Participate in intra-team or inter-departmental problem solving teams as required.
- Actively participate in New Product Development /product and process development activities. Co-development with R&D or Manufacturing Sciences throughout process as required.
- Work with EH&S to assure guidelines are followed.
- Use specialized instrumentation during the manufacturing and testing processes.
- Revise and edit existing manufacturing protocols; participate in the development of manufacturing protocols for new products.
- Project management skills preferred.
- Broad based knowledge and experience in chemical analysis, experimental design (DOE), and statistical quality control.
- Master the use of specialized manufacturing software.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet programs, presentation software, and e-mail.
- Adherence to ISO guidelines and Thermo fisher Scientific quality policy.
- Responsible for the completion of all tasks assigned daily; this may require more than 40 hours in some work weeks.
- Ability to lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds with or without accommodation.
- Ability to work with chemicals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Organic Chemistry or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong “hand-on” skills in organic synthesis are a must.
- Experience at the MS level is required and at Ph.D. level is a plus but not a requirement.
- Requires at least five (5-8) years of experience in the application of laboratory techniques in a manufacturing environment or research laboratory
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of advanced synthetic and common analytical instrumentation techniques, equipment and materials required.
- Demonstrated ability to follow standard protocols required.
- Effectively executing manufacturing work orders.
- Follow directions and instructions accurately.
- Achieve high productivity while maintaining all quality standards.
- Organize and prioritize work to ensure on-time delivery.
- Critically think about the manufacturing process and suggest improvements to maintain high quality standards.
- Strong presentation skills to customer groups, senior leadership, and technical and non-technical teams
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work independently as required.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise, accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and solve problems.
- Proven ability to lead and provide work direction required.
- Work in a team based environment to manufacture research and commercial products that are scientific in nature for use in the life sciences industry.
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join