Senior Scientist, Research and Development
in US - California - San Jose
Posting date: February 4, 2014
Position summary: The Life Sciences MS Research and Development group has an immediate opening for a Research Scientist in Mass Spectrometry to play a major role in the design and development of technology critical to supporting Thermo’s position as the leader in mass spectrometry in our San Jose, California facility.
- As part of the Inlets Research and Development team, conduct leading-edge research and development in the fields of API sources and Ion optics for our Triple Quads, Ion Traps and Orbitraps product lines.
- Investigate and explore new ideas and concepts by defining experiments, building, debugging and characterizing prototypes in order to verify proof of principle.
- Test and verify new products or improvements.
- Provide guidance and leadership to mechanical and electrical engineers in order to design prototypes and new products.
- Given the interdisciplinary nature of Life Science Mass Spectrometry, this role will require familiarity and interplay with the entire hardware team and several cross functional teams within marketing, product support and operations.
- Maintains substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories, and may contribute to scientific literature and conferences.
- May participate in development of patent applications.
- May coordinate interdepartmental activities and research efforts.
- Bachelor's degree with 8+ years of experience in a product development lab designing and developing analytical instrumentation; or 6 years of experience with a Master's degree; or a PhD with 3 years of experience; or equivalent experience.
- Practical knowledge of quadrupole mass filters and ion traps technologies, ion optics design, ion sources design, high vacuum systems design.
- Experience in developing Hardware and Software for analytical instruments, in relation with the design of API sources and Ion optics systems.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills.
- Capable of working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience with CAD Software (SolidWorks, ProEngineer).
- Experience with ETD (Electron Transfer Dissociation).
- Experience in the development of instrumentation for bio-analysis with mass spectrometry.
- Familiarity with C, C++ programming a plus.
- Working knowledge of SIMION or CPO.
- Experience with Computational Fluid Dynamics software.
- Strong project management skills.
- Knowledge of product management life cycle.